Saturday, October 29, 2005

My Jerg gets r0x0red


Today, I met up with some middle school boys from my hokwon to play a game of Starcraft, a game I started playing in about 8th grade. I haven't played in a couple of years because I'm supposed to have grown up. Luckily, that was a fleeting pursuit.
Starcraft is a strategy game where you pick from three "races," each of which have different combat units and styles of infrastructure for building your bases. The three races are Terran (human), Protoss (really wise Klingon-esque aliens) and Zerg (Ravenous DNA assimilating hive creatures.) However, my fellow Korean gamers can't pronounce "Z" so I was playing as "Jerg" according to them. Jerg it is, I said, and we entered into combat.
I was teamed up with them for a game against some of their friends, and we won thoroughly, with me providing a diversion for one of their opponents who obviously didn't realize I was plodding my way through like a toddler.
The second match wasn't so flattering. I teamed up with one of my students, and played pretty badly. We were thoroughly crushed, and I was obviously dead weight in that instance. But all in all, it was still fun. I was glad I got to hang out with my students outside of the classroom. When I left they barely looked up from their newly-started game to say "bye bye," but I still felt the love. I understood that the pure energy of competition had bound them to their monitors like battle hardened gladiators wearing striped sweaters and socks with sandals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home